Monday, May 28, 2007

Moroccan Passion Flower: The Sculpture


Self Portrait (Moroccan Passion Flower)

I've been doing self portraits for as long as I can remember, and most of them are representations of myself as a flower or tree. I don't really know where this came from, because I started these when I was very young. It may have something to do with my profound love of, and connection to, the natural world around me. I've always felt that every living thing, no matter how inanimate in appearance, has feelings.

This self portrait is about my passion for art. The more I do and learn, the more I grow.

The seed packet contains lots of tiny seeds. On each one is the name of someone who has given me inspiration, or taught me something about myself that is so profound that it's affected my art. It's sealed up completely, and I'm the only one who knows the names on the seeds inside. The image on the packet is another self portrait.

With exception to the pail and bucket, the sculpture was created from found wire and screen. When the flower was complete, I put some paint into the pail, and poured it over the flower.

Art is the fuel that keeps me going.

No comments: