Friday, May 11, 2007

Work in Progress

Ever since we moved here, I've wanted to make the front yard ours. Yes, we own it (or at least we're renting it from Mother Nature while we're here on Earth), so I don't mean "ours" in that sense. I mean it in the sense that it refects our taste and philosophy. So, that's been the project for the past 2 weeks.


Having a yard with grass, in the middle of the desert, makes no sense to either of us. We love the landscape, and want to embrace what's here. We also don't wish to waste a valuable resource (water) on something that shouldn't be here (grass). So, step #1 was to remove the grass. Easier said than done. Even though we haven't watered it even one time, it's pretty darn invasive, and has thrived pretty well with existing rainfall.


So after many, many hours on my hands and knees, removing the dreaded grass, I finally got to the point where I could spend many, many more hours on my hands and knees, securing empty wood pellet bags to the ground, to prevent any stray grasses from coming back. Of course, I couldn't do this over the entire yard, because we have a few trees, which we want to keep, and their roots will need some air and water. So, I finished it off with landscape fabric.


And just to add one more bit of security, I stretched some more plastic over the pellet bags. The yard is now ready for gravel! Stay tuned!


619 Days Until George W. Bush Leaves Office!
620 Days Until the BIG PARTY!!!!!
WOO-HOO!!!!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I can't wait to see the final result!! I watched this show recently on plants and they said grasses are the most prolific and hearty plants on earth. They grow anywhere and everywhere, even in freezing climates. Not unlike cockroaches, I'm sure grass will be around long after all other life on the planet has been wiped out. Yay!

Robin Jamison Hernandez said...

I believe it! If only the grasses that were here were native. Unfortunately, they arrived via store-bought seed and fertilizer. Ugh!