Thursday, June 14, 2007

Calling All Visitors: Your Room is Ready!

Well, I finally finished the guest room bed project, and following are some photos of the work in progress. With the help of my assistant, Miss Frida, I made a frame for the bed and built in a side table, which my assistant quickly checked for strength and level:


Once that was done, I gave it a couple of coats of glossy black paint before filling the underneath storage space with linens, sleeping bags, etc . . .



Two twin-sized platforms then sit one on top of the other, forming the base for the guest bed when it's not being used; or when it's being used as a daybed . . .


The addition of a mattress, pillows, and comforter turn the structure into a daybed. This is how we'll keep things when we don't have company. Since this is the smallest bedroom, we're lucky to have this recessed area. Keeping the guest bed in this compact arrangement will give the room more functionality when we don't have visitors . . .


However, Shannon arrives this Saturday (yippee!!!), so the frames need to be joined together, and legs attached . . .


And then made into a king size bed. We'll keep it in this configuration until mid-August, when the last of our Summer guests leave.


This project took only about a week, from start to finish (not counting long breaks). I used a combination of scrap and purchased lumber, and paint that I already had on hand. All that's left to do now is to add a reading light to the bedside table, and some mints on top of the pillows :)

4 comments:

Shannon said...

The bed looks great! I can't wait to test it out!

Anonymous said...

i love how the bed turned out.. and dont forget about me!! im coming to visit too!

Robin Jamison Hernandez said...

Thanks, girls! My two favorite days this Summer: July 16th and August 7th! :)

Staci Rose said...

OMG...this rocks! You did a fabulous job! What a wonderful project - it is lovely!