Sunday, June 3, 2007

When the Cat's Away, the Mice Will Work

Dave just returned from sunny southern California--a vacation week of hanging out with the boys prior to starting Summer classes. While he was gone, I spent the week working on my art and catching up on some yard work.

And the occasional trek down to the Post Office/Recycling Center, where I found these books, some of which are books on tape. Yes, even though it's 2007, we do still have a tape deck! I'm going to thoroughly enjoy listening to these while working on my art this Summer. When I'm done, I'll pass them along. I was especially thrilled to find Amy Tan's The Hundred Secret Senses, which I haven't read yet. I love her work!

And, as proof that I really did work on my art, above are the moulds that I poured at the end of the week. Okay, for all you know those are just two boxes filled with plaster, but there really is some art underneath: four, original plasteline labyrinths. You'll see the fruits of my labor later on this Summer.

While working out in the yard, I got completely distracted by some of the skulls and bones that I've picked up during my hikes. I think it's actually illegal here in New Mexico NOT to display a cow skull somewhere on your property. Hey, I'm not one to take chances! I attached the above skull and jaw bones (which look either like wings or horns, depending on who you ask) to the gate that leads out to the driveway.

And the above set to the same gate, but on the other side. And then, finally, I attached the set (below) to the gate which leads out to the very back of the house. I have to tell you something about old, dried out bones. They have splinters! Later that evening, I spent the night with a magnifying glass and tweesers, pulling bone splinters out of my hands. Note to self: use gloves in the future!

And when I wasn't busy making art and "legalizing" our property with skulls and bones, I was removing cacti from the fenced in area of the yard. Poor Miss Frida often comes limping up to me, usually on 3 legs instead of 4, to have me remove cactus needles from her little paws. She was very happy to see me haul three wheelbarrel loads of cacti down to the arroyo.

A close-up shot of one of the cactus flowers. Gorgeous, huh? Don't worry--there are still plenty of these beautiful plants outside of the fence!


When I was done, as if a gift from above was being bestowed upon me, a flock of rare Northern New Mexico Desert Flamingos landed and set up house under some junipers. I hear that they have an aversion to cactus, so I'm glad that I did all of that work!
And, finally, in the spirit of my blogger friend, Mary Ann, I snapped this photo of my typical lunch: sliced tomatoes & mozarella with fresh herbs from our garden.
Yum, yum!!!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

You know, I was just in the grocery store and I stood in front of the tomatoes debating whether I should buy some so I could have them with fresh mozarella. I eventually decided I could wait another week for the delicious treat, and then I read your post for today and INSTANTLY regretted not getting some! It looks so good!

Robin Jamison Hernandez said...

Quick! Get thee to the market place hither, and purchase a good lot of tomatoes!