Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Baskets and Cards

Happy Spring!!!

Okay, I promised some photos from the recent Japanese basketmaking workshops, and here's one! First, let me say that I didn't make the small, round basket with the tall handle. I purchased that from Nancy, who picked it up on one of her many trips to Japan. Isn't it a gorgeous little basket?

The "snake basket" is filled with round, black stones, and is probably one of my favorite baskets thus far. The hexoganal weave was a little maddening, but worth all of the frustration. I love it! I envision making a monumental snake basket, possiblly filled with boulders. Not really sure how I could accomplish that, but it never hurts to dream. I think it would look totally cool in our new Zen rock garden (once I get around to finishing it--just too many irons in the fire right now). Even COOLER would be to weave a HUGE, GINORMOUS snake basket that a person could walk into! Great idea for a future outdoor room! :)

The third piece in the photo is a group of wrapped nuts. Again, it's a project that's a little tricky, because you have to keep one hand tightly gripping the grass, nuts, and completed weaves, while using the other hand to weave around/over/under/through the contraption. I just love the idea of wrapping things, though, so this is definitely something I'll persue. Once again, I'm thinking about wrapping up some rocks. It would be fun to wrap a group of rocks, and then leave them along a hiking trail for someone to find.

I've been working on cards for the 2007 Abiquiu Studio Tour, and I've already finished quite a few! These are all miniature (approx. 3" x 5") originals which I've created by cutting up paintings, and then detailing with markers. There's something really satisfying about putting old paintings into the paper cutter and turning them into small, abstract works. After enhancing each new "original" with a fine-tipped marker, I affix them to bright white card stock. It's kind of nice to have something small to work on--something that doesn't take a big time investment. I can do just one or two or three cards, and then do something else.

What I'm REALLY looking forward to doing right now is starting on my contribution for The Cradle Project. I already have my main element(s) picked out, but I'll leave that for another day...


671 Days until George W. Bush Leaves Office!
672 Days until the BIG PARTY!!!

No comments: