Sunday, March 25, 2007

I'm Not a Doctor, But I Play One on TV

You know, unless you're a frog--or some other kind of swamp creature--rainy, foggy days almost dictate staying indoors. So, it was kismet that we'd signed up to take a CPR and First Aid class yesterday.

Dave and I got up at the crack of dawn. Actually, I got up before dawn cracked, and Dave slept in until a half hour before we had to leave. But I digress . . .

Eventually, we both rolled out of bed, got showered & dressed, caffeined-up, and out the door--still feeling kind of sleepy and looking bleary eyed (especially Dave, because we haven't quite nailed that whole pollen thing yet), and headed south (not in a bad way; we really did drive south, to Espanola . . . although sometimes heading south kind of feels like we're "going south," like when we have to make a trip to the dreaded Walmart store. But I digress again . . .)

So, it was particularly overcast yesterday. And rainy. And drizzley. And the clouds were just as tired as we were. I know this for a fact, because they were listlessly resting on top of Black Mesa, instead of hovering overhead. So it was that Dave and I headed south--in a good way--tying to be as quiet as one can be while driving a diesel, (which isn't as easy as it may sound--it's impossible to sneak up on someone when you're driving a diesel), so as not to wake the clouds.

And we arrived at the campus with time to spare.
Now, in case you're wondering, I'm posting this today, instead of yesterday, because SAVING LIVES is REALLY HARD WORK, and leaves a person feeling REALLY EXHAUSTED.

Alright. We didn't actually save any lives yesterday. But, let me tell you: LEARNING how to SAVE LIVES is REALLY HARD WORK and leaves a person feeling REALLY EXHAUSTED.

Don't believe me? Well, then, you should have been here yesterday after class. We'd made plans to have
dinner with friends (Groucho Marx and
the Missus), and it was time to go. Dave was stretched out on the couch, eyes closed, very quiet.

"Dave, it's time to go."

Nothing. No response.

"Dave, we need to leave now."

Still no response.

"DAVE! LET'S GO!"

Omygod. Not only was he STILL not responding, he kind of looked like that guy to the lower left, except with a complete body & arms. Plus, he doesn't have that hinge like thing in his neck. And he was wearing clothes. And his hair isn't the same color as his skin. BUT STILL, I was beginning to feel alarmed, and I was FULLY PREPARED to administer two "rescue breaths," and then start CPR. If we'd had an AED (defribrillator), I would have gotten it out of it's case and turned it on so that it could start charging!

And then, suddenly, my training seriously kicked in! I stood over Dave, grabbed his shoulder--skaking him violently--and yelled REALLY LOUDLY, "Are you okay???", because that's what you're supposed to do when you come upon someone who is unconscious (or, in this case, someone who is fast asleep), before you begin to administer LIFE SAVING PROCEDURES.

And then he woke up.

So, that just illustrates my point about these CPR and First Aid classes. They can really wear a person out. But, it's most definitley worth all of the getting up early, heading south, and spending the day saving the lives of dummies (I'm not being mean--that's what they're called). Seriously. It takes a dedicated person--someone who is prepared to roll up their sleeves and take charge in an emergency situation--to spend a full day (and a Saturday, at that!), learning this stuff!


And I'm telling you this because, if we're ever in an emergency situation, or if you just happen to fall asleep because you're suffering from complete and total exhaustion, I have the skill and training (certification to arrive in the mail shortly), to either save your life, or wake you up.

Now, doesn't that make you feel a whole lot better?





667 Days until George W. Bush Leaves Office!
668 Days until the BIG PARTY!!!

No comments: