Thursday, March 22, 2007

A Match Made in Whoville



It's allergy season. Specifically, it's "allergy to juniper" season, and easily half of the population around here is just plain miserable. Dave is one of them.

Today, Dave told me about how one of his teachers came to class wearing safety goggles. Apparently, they really do help to protect against all of the pollen in the air. We both agreed that this was a brilliant idea, and promptly drove over to Lowe's to get a pair. I waited outside in the Jeep, and Dave went in an purchased a nifty pair of goggles--the kind that protect against chemical spills and splatters. He wore them all the way home, and looked pretty spiffy in them, too--even after they fogged up. I really, REALLY wanted to get a photo of him, but he refused (can't imagine why!).

I got to thinking, and even mentioned to Dave, that swimming goggles would work nicely. And then I got to thinking, even further, that a snorkel--retrofitted with some kind of filter--would REALLY protect him against all of that nasty juniper pollen floating through the air. Well, we couldn't find either the swimming goggles or the snorkel, so he's stuck with the nifty chemical-proof safety goggles for the time being.

Now, I'm not unsympathetic, which is why I toiled so long to come up with The Pollen Plan. In fact, just a few years ago, during the height of pollen season (tree pollen) back in Virginia, I got a a sinus infection SO BAD that I looked like one of the Whos from Whoville. If you don't believe me, just ask Erica or Shannon. As a matter of fact, I'm pretty sure it was Erica who pointed out the stark resemblance. And I'm not talking about those cute little Whos from Dr. Seuss' book, either. I mean the really creepy looking ones from the Jim Carrey movie version.

Well, Dave--being the wonderful guy that he is--stuck with me through thick and thin, through normality and the Who stage. So it's only right that I help him through this very trying time, even though--after some thought--he nixed my idea about the swimming goggles and snorkel.

So, now it's on to Plan B. I just remembered that Shannon & Erica bought Dave a pair of those REALLY COOL Willy Wonka sunglasses! Now, if I can just figure out where they might be . . .

670 Days until George W. Bush Leaves Office!
671 Days until the BIG PARTY!!!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I think those Willy Wonka glasses might be the perfect protection against the pollen. There's only one way to be certain, though: we need to devise an experiment. Dave should put them on, go outside, and walk around amongst the juniper trees. And NOT just the juniper trees on your property. We need to know that they work (or don't work) around other people's junipers, too. Also, you MUST get a picture of this and post it (for purely scientific reasons, of course).

Robin Jamison Hernandez said...

That's such a great idea! It's so very important to help with scientific advancements. We really SHOULD do our part for the greater good.