Friday, March 30, 2007

Troving With Macy Gray

A couple of days ago I went troving with Macy Gray. Yes, THE Macy Gray--the one with the really groovy voice and great lyrics. Okay, she wasn't actually with me in body, but she was with me in spirit and song. We were on a mission: The Orange Twine Mission. She sang; and I drove, stopped, got out, photographed twine evidence, picked it up, threw it into the back seat, got back behind the wheel, and continued on. I followed these steps for two full hours. And Macy, bless her heart, just kept on a singin' the whole time. What a trooper.

All of this time out on the highway gave me time for pondering, which is actually one of the things I do best, because I have so much experience. I've come up with a theory about not only the twine, but about all of the other trashy treasure that is so commonly seen in our landscape here. Here's my theory:

Our state, and especially this area up here in the north, is absolutely gorgeous. SUBLIME. Now, all of this beauty could cause a person to go crazy, and run amok*, and chaos would soon ensue. To PROTECT THE CITIZENS of New Mexico, the good citizens of New Mexico are only doing their part by throwing trash out of their windows as they cruise along the highway. This trash has the effect of diluting the sublime--thus bringing it down to tolerable levels.

Don't you just love hand painted signs? They Rock!

*From Fundamentals of Abnormal Psychology: Amok is described as "A disorder characterized by sudden, wild outbursts of violent aggression or homicidal behavior in which an afflicted person may kill or injure others."

Okay, now. We can't have any of that, can we?
So, anyway, getting back to The Orange Twine Mission . . . Macy and I cruised the highway for two hours, and the trove of twine slowly and slowly grew. We even found a couple of other really cool things: a piece of corrugated metal with spray painted words on it; and a colorful, plasticy thing (I think it's a mouse pad, but I can't be sure) covered with blocks of color. Who needs shoes and jewelry when you can go out along the highway and find cool stuff like this? Huh? Huh???? Point made!
Northern New Mexico Rest Stop

I even got the added bonus of having guys in trucks honk, wave, and wolf whistle at me while I was out there photographing evidence. Twenty years ago I hated that (animals! morons!), but let me tell you--when you're nearing the big 5-0, it feels pretty darn good! You just gotta love the people here--doing their part for humanity by diluting the sublime; and men going out of their way to nurture the egos of middle-aged women. Life is Good. You couldn't PAY me to live anywhere else!

And, so, I came back home--back seat filled with bright orange treasure, ego inflated, and feeling good about my fellow citizens. I even have a really groovy idea for a large art piece--one involving those little tiny liquor bottles that you get on airplanes and hotel mini-bars. But I'll save that for another day.


662 Days Until George W. Bush Leaves Office!
663 Days Until the BIG PARTY!!!!
WOO-HOO!!!!

No comments: